What are unit studies?
Unit studies are a collection of activities that are based on a topic. Unit studies are very popular with homeschooling families for several reasons.
Why Homeschooling Families Love Them :
- They take a multisensory approach to learning and can be very hands-on.
- You don’t have to buy a separate curriculum. You can create it yourself.
- Unit studies are great for child-led learning. You can brainstorm ideas together.
- You can build research skills together.
- You can involve children from all age groups.
10 Topics That my 7-year-old Asked to Learn About :
- Birds of Prey
- Native Americans
- History of video games
- The Civil War
- Legends and ghost stories from other countries
Steps to Creating a Unit Study
- Pick a topic with your child.
- Write down learning goals.
- Research different books online or at the library.
- Research different videos on Youtube, Netflix, PBS Kids, ETC
- Utilize Pinterest for craft or hands-on activity ideas.
- Brainstorm field trip ideas
- Begin planning
Planning a unit study can become overwhelming. I highly recommend simplifying your resources, especially your activity ideas that you find on Pinterest. It may become overwhelming. I also enjoy planning unit studies with the free unit study planner from Hi5 Homeschool on Teachers Pay Teachers. This planner helps organize my thoughts.
Error: No feed found.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.